Saturday, November 12, 2011

Of tortillas and wraps....

Most of my decisions on food start off with a random ingredient that I spot during grocery shopping trips. So recently when I found a can of re-fried beans, I started imagining spicy and tangy, and I just had to pick it up.
Initially I wanted to make Enchiladas, but then common sense returned, when I realized that I had never made tortillas before and that if the tortillas got messed up, I'd be left with chilli sauce and a can full of fried beans.

So I made wraps instead!

The best part about the wraps is of course the Tortillas. These are flour tortillas, soft and delicate, and look really pretty! I think I see Enchiladas on the horizon soon!!

The recipe is from here  with slight quantity changes in the oil and baking powder. It is also adapted for 6 tortillas instead of 8.

Flour Tortillas Recipe: (for 6 tortillas)

1.5 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
3 teaspoons of oil
1/2 cup warm milk



Mix the dry ingredients, and then slowly add the milk to make a soft dough ball. Don't over knead. Rest for half an hr. Divide and roll into 6 balls and rest again for 10-15 minutes. Roll out with light pressure on a floured surface until it becomes thin and slightly transparent. On a heavy pan, roast on each side till lightly spotted.


To make wraps:

Sautee chopped onions and tomatoes and a finely diced clove of garlic over olive oil. Add the tin of re-fried beans (next time I plan on trying to make these at home). Add a bit of salt for taste and a 2-3 tsp of water and heat until the sauteed onions and tomatoes are properly mixed and lumps are gone.

Pile up the tortilla with fried beans, fresh salsa (chopped tomatoes, onion and cilantro, tossed with a bit of salt), some chopped salad, grated cheddar cheese and crumbled tortilla chips.


You can add a bit of heat with a chunky spicy red chilli preserve.


Roll up and bite in!!!



2 comments:

Balvinder said...

I just turned on computer to write about sot corn tacos. They are similar to tortillas but made from corn flour. After eating these today your tortillas wraps look so welcoming.

Rujuta said...

I intend to make Corn tacos too,I think they'll be healthier!!