Friday, September 02, 2011

Modaks...


Every year on Ganesha Chaturthi, I hover around my mom, like a little kid, trying to sneak spoonfuls of sweetened coconut filling, while she efficiently makes the most artisitic modaks that I have ever tasted in my life. For the uninitiated, modak is a sweet that the lord Ganesha loves, and is made of steamed rice flour with a sweet coconut filling.
It's tricky to make, needs nimble fingers and years of practice. My mom has been making these since she was maybe just 10 years old, and reminisces a bit painfully of a time when people used to be hearty eaters, and would easily eat them in dozens at the least. 
With all that experience, she makes a mean modak. What do I do? I meddle and take pictures with sticky hands and steam and sugar covered cellphones.

So here's how it went down....in pictures....


A plateful of modaks, waiting to be steamed :)


There you go...steamed, pretty and oh so yummy, all for you....!! (Sorry for the fuzzy quality, there was steam on my lens after a totally useless attempt to catch the steam on camera)



Maharashtrian Food: Most people do not know about Maharashtrian food, and those who do, think that our food is made up of Zunka Bhakar and Wadapav, and coconut fish curry. However after years of seeing my mom make the most varied variety of complicated and delectable dishes, I strongly feel that I need to do my bit, however small, of getting a few of the dishes across to my readers. In this endeavor, I promise to introduce you to all the typical fare that requires more than just curry masala and coconut milk. 


4 comments:

Laeli said...

Wow, those are a work of art!
Heehee I love that you meddle and take pictures. I'm very tempted to try my hand at Modaks too. Ha, I bet mine would look nothing like your Mum's. I wonder if I can find them in a bakery..hmmm, you've made me so curious!

Rujuta said...

ahh, dunno if u'll get them in a bakery, but maybe if u ever visit India, you just might be able to get to taste them :)

Vindya Narsian-Krishnan said...

yummy yummy yummytos ..once I am back, I am gonna come to your place and learn to make them from your mom ;)

Rujuta said...

sure!! Even I'll get to eat them again :D